What a fun and exciting day Alyssa, Krystal and I had at the Belmont Stakes. We started out at 8:00 to make sure we got a bench seat just past the finishline in the G.A. section with the 'fun' people. We sat there for about 5 minutes when the sweat started pouring out of us. With temps in the 90's and sitting IN THE SUN, we knew that this was going to be a long HOT day! There were over 90,000 people there!
We ended having a great time with the people around us. We couldn't have asked for better people. They were so interesting. Next to me was the CEO of UPS, the head of Security for UPS and a photographer for National Geographic and Sports Illustrated named Ike. He was by far the most interesting one. He had stories of his travels that we would never experience in a lifetime. He was on a scuba ship doing a photo story on hammerhead sharks near Ecuador, Galapagos Islands and Fiji. The captain of the ship ended up being a drug runner, the Columbian Navy was involved, a passenger was tied up and left on the bow, he had an uzzi pointed at his head and also met up with pirates. What a life! That's why he's now diviorced!
The other 2 middle aged men were hitting on the bimbo drunk girls all around us! The 2 people in front of us were from Saratoga Springs and were so much fun. The guy was a pleasent drunk and she was just so nice and we got along great.
We took turns walking around to cool off and place some bets. I bet 3 races at one time towards the end. One of them was supposedly the Belmont Stakes race... #10. I bet $2 on each race to show. Later on I was talking to one of the guys next to us and he asked which race was the Belmont Stakes race. I said 10. He said "I think it's the 11th". I looked in the program and sure enough I bet on every horse in the WRONG race! He said that they may allow you to change it being that it's way before the race. I went back up and the nice man at the booth did change it for me. I went back to my seat and now realized that I had lost my sunglasses in the process! I looked everywhere and they were no where to be found. I must have been a fried brain at that point! Plus the plumbing was out because of low water pressure so I basically stopped drinking water too!
It was nice to see the gardening crew with the blanket again. They are so proud of what they do! This is the first year in a long time that PJ helped put the blanket on the horse. He was on tv also! PJ brought Ike into the flower room and he took pictures of the guys finishing up the blanket and of the crew. He said that the pics may be used in National Geographic or Sports Illustrated! I would love it even if he sent PJ copies of the pictures.



Everyone was waiting with great anticipation to watch BIG BROWN capture the TRIPLE CROWN. It didn't happen. The jockey pulled him back fearing he was hurt and he came in last place. It was very sad.




We had LOTS of excitement and we came home with all of our money plus a few dollars more! Good Times!

No comments:
Post a Comment